Dr. Rick Brinkman
1) I highly recommend Rosebud Siamese as a source for your future feline family members. Every aspect of our interaction was wonderful, professionally handled and expedient. Our two kittens had to make a 12 hour 45 minute trip on Delta to Portland, Oregon from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Including the carrier for them to make the trip was another example of Rosebud excellence in service.
2) I also HIGHLY recommend that you get two kittens at one time, an unrelated male and female.
We have found that they form a natural wonderful bond with each other. It was true with our first pair in 1986 and it is now true with Neelix and Leela from Rosebud. This happens for a number of reasons.
1. They arrive together so no one has claimed “territory” or claimed the “humans” as their own.
2. They are kittens and they love to play, wrestle and chase each other around the house so they grow up as friends.
3. There is a natural gravitation for a male and female, even spayed and neutered to bond together.
They came out of the box from Delta completely bonded and they remain that way 4 years later as adults.
But think about it from their perspective. Your human may love you but no one knows how to do your ears like another cat or give you a facial. Or having a friend who understands the joy of sharing a mouse stakeout in the garage for hours. Or having someone warm and soft to cuddle with.
Their loving and playful relationship with each other is a joy for us. And whether we leave them on their own for an evening or if we go away for a few days (of course with people they know coming twice a day), the peace and satisfaction of knowing they are not alone in an empty house but have each other is priceless.
Here is a link to download a video of them giving each other a facial which is the evening nap ritual.
Dr Rick Brinkman